Thursday, January 12, 2006

Dr. Mahathir, in person

I was at MPH Midvalley on Sunday enjoying myself browsing through a plethora of books when suddenly a commotion occured near the main entrance. At first I just ignored it as it doesn't seem to involve me. However more and more people seem to be enthralled by some incident or person at the entrance and it piqued my interest. So I amble over to see what was the matter.

Lo and behold, our beloved ex-prime minister, Dr. Mahathir was there. Everyone was crowding around him wanting to take his signature and to take photos with him. Well, I then decided rather wisely to just go back to my books. At that stage, I really really wished to just go up to him to shake his hand and thank him. However seeing the poor man swamped by the public stopped me from doing it. Alas, all my efforts to keep away came to nothing when he just popped up next to me browsing at some of the bestsellers on display.

Obviously the crowd followed along. He stood barely half a metre away and I was so so tempted to just say hi and thank you and to shake his hand. I so so wanted to but I stopped myself from doing it. I do not know what came over me. Maybe just some insane part inside wanting to seem cool and not so flustered as the rest of the crowd was who were running around like little school kids at their first party. Anyhow, I missed out an awesome opportunity to thank the great man personally.

However, no regrets. I am happy to be able to say I have seen him 'up close and personal' ;) so to speak. Where ever you are, what ever you do, Dr. M, here's a heartfelt thank you and good luck to you. The brief moments you spent with us did touch many of us Malaysians. I am proud to say I am a Malaysian first, foremost and always.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sok Chuan said...

hello codeofmine

my distance from you in office is one metre, half a metre away is really close, it exceeds the common zone of a person. Dr. M should have been attracted by you. ^_^

Me too admire and appreciate Dr. M contribution to our country very much. It is very proud that when I was studying oversea, people from all over the world get to know our country because of Dr. M. Only after that I realize how charming is our ex-PM compare to others.

If I were you, I probably end up miss the opportunity too.

13 January, 2006 08:28  
Blogger Hao Zhi said...

hai, i also miss the opportunity ! :( I went down to the car park to get the car and drove it near the entrance, but at the same time, my young bro and yound sis saw him! wasted liao. :(

15 January, 2006 23:37  

Post a Comment

<< Home